Abalone Treasure Pot Recipe
Poon choi or as we knows as Treasure Pot is a traditional Cantonese festival meal composed of many layers of different ingredients. It is served in large wooden, porcelain or metal basins called poon, due to the communal style of consumption.
Treasure pot is a festive dish perfect for Chinese New Year reunion dinner. This dish is packed with all the "luxurious" ingredients such as prawns, sea cucumber, abalone, fish maw, scallop. You can adjust the ingredients according to your affordability. The recipe below is halal and is suitable for Muslim-friend as it does not contain pork and alcohol.
- Sliced Ginger - 40g
- Chopped Green Onion – 2 stalks
- Raw chicken carcass & chicken feet (blanch 5 min)
- Water – 1.5 litre
- Salt – 1 and a half tsp
- Sugar – 1 and a half tsp
- Chinese Cabbage – 5 slices
- Peeled daikon slice into 3cm then cut half – 200g
- Broccoli cut into small florets – 8pcs
- Medium size prawns – 8pcs
- Frozen Sea Cucumber – 300g
- Soaked dried mushrooms remove stem – 8pcs
- Abalone – 1 can (8pcs)
- Roast chicken drumstick – 1 pc
- Roast duck drumstick – 1 pc
- Yam – 150g
- White pepper – ¼ tsp
- Oyster Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
Preparing the Chicken Stock
1) In a pot, add in blanched chicken carcass & chicken feet
2) Add in ginger, green onion and water. Bring to boil then simmer at least for 1 hour.
3) Add in sugar and salt. Skim off foams. Chicken stock is ready.
Preparing the ingredients
1) Boil a pot of water, add in ginger, green onion, sugar & salt
2) Blanch Chinese cabbage (2 min), daikon (3min) and sea cucumber (1 min)
3) Drain and transfer to claypot
4) Fried yam & prawns
5) Marinate mushrooms with sugar, white pepper, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Set aside for 20 min
Preparing the Sauce
Abalone sauce - 4 tbsp
Oyster sauce - 1 tbsp
Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Cooking oil – 2 tbsp
Chicken Stock – 500ml
1) Preheat cooking oil, add in ginger and green onion. Stir fry till fragrant.
2) Add in mushrooms. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3) Add in premix sauce followed by chicken stock. Bring to boil.
4) Add in sea cucumber. Turn to low heat simmer for 15 min
1) Transfer all ingredients to claypot
2) Fill 60% of the claypot with chicken stock. Turn to low heat simmer for 20 min.
3) Add in broccoli, prawns.
4) Thicken stock with cornstarch slurry.
5) Pour gravy over and serve.
You can find the full recipe here.
Easier Way with Panseas
In Panseas, we provide our customer with premium quality of seafood and ready to eat meals. You can
now get your Abalone Treasure Pot with us at an affordable rate. 100% Halal and MSG Free. Purchase now